Perfect pancakes with mixed berry compote
Prep- 15 minutes Makes- 18 pancakes
2 cups self-raising flour (sifted)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
1 1/4 cup milk
For the compote-
2 cups frozen berries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla paste
1. Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a medium bowl. Separate the eggs adding the yolks to the dry ingredients and the whites to a clean bowl.
2. Whisk the egg yolks, milk and vanilla in with the dry ingredients until smooth. Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and then softly fold it through the other mix with a spatula.
3. Heat a frypan over low to medium heat and melt a small amount of butter just to grease the pan.
4. Drop dessertspoons of batter into the heated frypan and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip pancakes over when some of the bubbles have popped then cook the other side until lightly browned.
5. Serve pancakes warm with the berry compote and maple syrup.
For berry compote-
1. Add frozen berries, lemon juice, caster sugar and vanilla to a saucepan and stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved and compote is warm.