French Apple Cake
Using our local apples from Bilpin!
Recipe from Once Upon a Chef
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
110 grams butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup white sugar + extra for the top
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons rum
2 big or 3 small apples cored and chopped into chunks (I used Royal Galas from the Bilpin Market).
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease a 9 inch or 23cm round springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer.
3. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well. Add in vanilla and rum and beat again.
4. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and beat until just combined. Fold in the chopped apples.
5. Scrape mixture into the cake pan then sprinkle over about 2 tablespoons of sugar over the top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
7. Allow the cake to cool slightly before serving and serve with some dollop cream or ice cream.