Festive Chocolate Gingerbread
Updated: Jun 4
Prep- 20 minutes Chill- 30 minutes Cook- 12 minutes
125g butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup golden syrup
1 egg, lightly whisked
2 3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp bi carb soda
3 tsp ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
Red and green M&M's to decorate
For the icing
1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture (sifted)
1 egg white
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Beat the butter, sugar and syrup with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add in the egg and beat again until just combined. Add in the flour, cocoa, bi carb, ginger and mixed spice and stir to combine. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, shape dough into a ball then place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 3 trays with baking paper.
3. Roll dough into a 3mm disc. Use a variety of festive cutters to cut out shapes in the dough then transfer to trays leaving about 2cm between each piece. Continue re-rolling dough scraps.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until firm to touch. Set aside to cool on trays.
5. Whisk icing sugar, lemon juice and egg white together in a bowl until a smooth paste forms.
6. Place icing in a piping bag with a 1mm nozzle or alternatively andsnip a 1mm